The Spanish rice pudding recipe is by far one of the easiest Spanish desserts. It won´t take you even an hour to make it, plus it is so traditional and delicious that you will look like an expert in front of your guests. Next, you will find the how to make arroz con leche:
How to make arroz con leche
It´s true that the meaning of arroz con leche is rice with milk, but as you can imagine, learning how to make rice pudding is not based in just adding milk to the rice. It´s easy to make, but not that easy…
Ingredients for arroz con leche
- 1 or 1 cup and a half Short grain rice (arroz bomba if you are in Spain)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 litter of whole milk (change the type of milk if needed)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 lemon peals
- 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp salt
- Additional ground cinnamon (as much as you want)
Best Spanish arroz con leche recipe
- Pour milk with the sugar, the stick of cinnamon and the lemon peal in a large saucepan and boil it to medium heat.
- Place the rice under cold water for a few minutes so it won’t stick to the pan.
- When the milk is already boiling, low the heat and add the rice (keep it for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes)
- Once is almost done is time for you to decide how much liquid milk do you want. (remember to keep more than what you want as it loses a little bit when you take it out of the heat)
- Once it´s done, take it out and let it cool for a little bit.
- To finish in Spain is very typical to add ground cinnamon.
Your recipe for arroz con leche is done, hope you make a delicious creamy rice pudding
Other facts about arroz con leche
Now that you know how to make arroz con leche we will tell you about more interesting facts about arroz con leche or you can see other of our traditional Spanish desserts recipes.
What is rice pudding
What is arroz con leche or rice pudding? It´s an old traditional Spanish dessert, which is eaten all over the country. It has a few variations depending on the region. It´s based on rice, milk, sugar and cinnamon. Now this dessert is very popular in many countries of the world and there are many ways of making it.
Where is arroz con leche from?
Where did arroz con leche originate? Although the famous creamy rice pudding recipe is known as if it was from Spain, the truth is that its origins are confusing.
Many people believe that arroz con leche is from Asia, then Muslims started making it and brought it to Spain years later. Last of all, Spaniards who were leaving in America tried the recipe over there with some variations.
The first written recipe is from Domingo Hernández de Maceras who made the book called ‘Libro del Arte de Cozina’ in 1607, but there were dishes with similarities already in the XV century.
How to eat arroz con leche?
It may sound weird, but there are many ways of eating arroz con leche. First of all, you should know that there are a million recipes for arroz con leche. Some people use vanilla, others use eggs or cream and the majority do it the traditional way.
Another thing you should know is that you can eat arroz con leche cold, template or hot. It´s totally up to your taste, but it´s very common to eat it a little bit cold.
And last of all, you should consider adding some cinnamon at the end of your recipe as it is delicious, but you will enjoy it without cinnamon as well.